What is the magnitude of the problem?
– Child sexual abuse is likely the most prevalent health problem children face with the most serious array of consequences.
– About 1 in 10 children will be sexually abused before their 18th birthday*.
– About 1 in 7 girls and 1 in 25 boys will be sexually abused before they turn 18*.
– This year, there will be about 400,000 babies born to the U.S. that will become victims of child sexual abuse unless we do something to stop it.
* Includes contact abuse only
Who are the perpetrators of child sexual abuse?
FACT: those who molest children look and act just like everyone else. There are people who have or will sexually abuse children in churches, schools and youth sports leagues.
– About 90% of children who are victims of sexual abuse know their abuser. Only 10% of sexually abused children are abused by a stranger.
– Approximately 30% of children who are sexually abused are abused by family members.
– About 60% of children who are sexually abused are abused by people the family trusts.
– Homosexual individuals are no more likely to sexually abuse than heterosexual individuals.
FACT: As many as 40% of children who are sexually abused are abused by older, or more powerful children.
– The younger the child victim, the more likely it is that the perpetrator is a juvenile. Juveniles are the offenders in 43% of assaults on children under age six. Of the offenders, 14% are under age 12.
– Juveniles who commit sex offenses against other children are more likely than adult sex offenders to offend in groups, to offend at schools, and to have more male victims and younger victims.
Research collected by sexual abuse prevention organization, Darkness to Light.